12 days after transfer, brown spotting & BFN

Discussion in '1st Child - Trying' started by jweezy, Apr 27, 2011.

jweezy

jweezy New Member

Hello, new here and wondering about brown spotting. My wife started seeing brown spotting about 10 days after transfer (day 3 transfer, 2 "good" looking embryos transferred). She did a preg test this am (12 days after transfer) and got BFN. What are the odds we'll get a +? She is young and has a healthy uterus, tubes are our problem (previous ectopic)...
    thanks!
    essemkay

essemkay New Member

It's always possible that the spotting she saw was implantation spotting or simply from an irritated cervix. If she doesn't get her period full flow in a couple of days, test again. Lots of women don't get a positive test until at least day 14.
    jweezy

jweezy New Member

So until there is a full period there is still hope? This is our first kick at the can, trying to be upbeat, but want as much information as I can get, good or bad...
    thanks for the info!
    essemkay

essemkay New Member

It's a bit hard to say, since progesterone can hold off our good buddy aunt flow. Sadly, the chances for a positive at this point are not terrific, but there's always hope! It ain't over 'til beta!

Good luck!
    jweezy

jweezy New Member

Can you explain beta to me, I am not sure what that is. The only appointment we have since our transfer is a pee test (which will be 15 days after transfer), is that what you are talking about?
    Sorry, guess us dudes don't know all the lingo :nerd:
    essemkay

essemkay New Member

Oh. Usually they do a blood test for your beta hcg levels (that's the pregnancy hormone) -- we just call it a beta test. Urine tests detect hcg, too, but since urine tests are qualitative and blood tests are quantitative, most REs that I'm aware of go with the blood.

Just as an example, my RE had me do a urine test at 15dp3dt (same as you are going to do) and the line was sooooooo faint you could barely see it at all -- I was so discouraged. But my test wasn't until 11:30 in the morning and I had already had quite a bit of water by then, so apparently, my urine was just diluted or the test didn't have enough dye in it or something. They did a blood test at the same time, which came back at 806. 806 is a pretty high number and a level that you would definitely expect to give you a dark solid line on a pee test.

I don't entirely trust the urine tests.