Are Infertility Treatments Tax Deductible?

Discussion in 'In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)' started by Bella, Feb 25, 2007.

Bella

Bella New Member

I putting this question out there because we are paying 100% of the costs out of pocket. Just the IVF with ICSI will exceed about 15% of our gross income. But, are fertility treatments covered under that provision?
    Teagan873

Teagan873 New Member

Yep…fertility treatments are deductible. I have actually been preparing all of my receipts for my tax guy this weekend. What a nightmare. I just stuffed everything in a folder and wasn’t the best at saving all receipts so I was also referring to EOB’s. (ZZzzZZZzzzZ) SO…I ended up preparing a spreadsheet to keep track of everything (for each year). Now when I get back from any doctor visit I will basically update my log with the amount I paid and keep a reference of the type of payment. If I remember correctly…you can even deduct the mileage you travel to the RE office too. I’m even logging all of my medications that I get throughout the year.
    MaggieMay75

MaggieMay75 New Member

What a great question!!! I was just wondering the same thing. Are you ladies filing separately or jointly? I think we have to file separately because it has to be more than 5% of your gross income, right? With DH, we don't qualify, but with just me, we do. Do you guys know if it's still okay to deduct? Thanks thanks thanks in advance!
    rcgomez2003

rcgomez2003 New Member

we were able to itemize the medical expenses, mileage at 18 cents a mile, and all medication. we went to have ours done professionally instead of me doing them like usual. the itemized amount had to be subtracted by 7 and 1/2 percent of your total taxable income. the standard deduction was 10,300 and with our IVF expenses that we actually had receipts that we had paid the bill it was just over 13,000 (this also includes interest from our mortgage and property taxes) just be sure you have all the receipts and take off all the money that insurance may have re-imbursed you. it made a big difference for us. good luck
    CherylR

CherylR New Member

shb24

shb24 New Member

Thanks for the link. If we do IVF, which is very likely, we'll need to keep track of all the expenses. I was wondering a few weeks ago if mileage counts. Glad to hear that it does as our REs office is about 85 miles away!
    Cookie

Cookie New Member

IVF is tax deductible what about IUI?

IRS Publication 502 specifically states that IVF procedures are deductible under "Fertility Enhancements" section. I was wondering if anyone knows if that includes IUI procedures as well? In 2007 I had 5 IUI procedures paid for out of my own pocket and 1 IVF. Finally the IVF worked..pregnant with twins!!
    Cookie

Cookie New Member

IVF is tax deductible what about IUI?

IRS Publication 502 specifically states that IVF procedures are deductible under "Fertility Enhancements" section. I was wondering if anyone knows if that includes IUI procedures as well? In 2007 I had 5 IUI procedures paid for out of my own pocket and 1 IVF. Finally the IVF worked..pregnant with twins!!
    elizwhite

elizwhite New Member

THANK you so much for the information. I am currently gathering all my medical bills this year for taxes. I also paid for IVF/IVF meds 100% out of pocket plus a hefty co-pay for my endo surgery and other med txs in 2007. Although the clinic is close to our house, I had no idea that mileage was deductible. Do you think that credit card interest would be deductible for medical payments?
    elizwhite

elizwhite New Member

THANK you so much for the information. I am currently gathering all my medical bills this year for taxes. I also paid for IVF/IVF meds 100% out of pocket plus a hefty co-pay for my endo surgery and other med txs in 2007. Although the clinic is close to our house, I had no idea that mileage was deductible. Do you think that credit card interest would be deductible for medical payments?

this is great information sense my dh and I drive over 300 miles to the IVF clinic. I;ll be able to do the one visit from november and then next year our trip (hopefully one) trip this year

cathy

this is great information sense my dh and I drive over 300 miles to the IVF clinic. I;ll be able to do the one visit from november and then next year our trip (hopefully one) trip this year

cathy
    charms

charms New Member

All medical treatment weather copay or deductible is tax deductible.

Also keeping track of the mileage to and from the clinic, labs, etc is also deductible.

Meds, are covered, including the baby asprin.

the HPT, OPK are also deductible.
    Prenatal, and supplemental vitimins are covered.
    tylenol is covered.

I am a tax preparer, if you have specific items you want to deduct, you can PM me and I can let you know if it is an allowable coverage.

Note - I am an IRS Volunteer Tax Preparer, I have no charges or fees :)
    charms

charms New Member

All medical treatment weather copay or deductible is tax deductible.

Also keeping track of the mileage to and from the clinic, labs, etc is also deductible.

Meds, are covered, including the baby asprin.

the HPT, OPK are also deductible.
    Prenatal, and supplemental vitimins are covered.
    tylenol is covered.

I am a tax preparer, if you have specific items you want to deduct, you can PM me and I can let you know if it is an allowable coverage.

Note - I am an IRS Volunteer Tax Preparer, I have no charges or fees :)

Thanks

I'll make sure to show my dh your post so he'll believe me :) :cheer:

Cathy

Thanks

I'll make sure to show my dh your post so he'll believe me :) :cheer:

Cathy
    BottleBrunette

BottleBrunette New Member

Oh WOW! I had no idea you could deduct all that. Thank you for the info :)
    BottleBrunette

BottleBrunette New Member

Oh WOW! I had no idea you could deduct all that. Thank you for the info :)
    AmyK

AmyK New Member

Can I just FedEx you my shoebox full of receipts?:woohoo:

LOL- Thanks for the info.:grouphug:
    AmyK

AmyK New Member

Can I just FedEx you my shoebox full of receipts?:woohoo:

LOL- Thanks for the info.:grouphug: