Beginners question, how long does 1 cycle of IVF take?

Discussion in 'In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)' started by ally, Jun 24, 2008.

ally

ally New Member

Hi there,
    Sorry for the ignorant question. I'm currently in my 2ww from an IUI and trying to map out my next steps should this not work out for us.
    I've tried researching on the net but was unable to find an answer. When doing IVF does 1 cycle take 28days or do you need to have the follicles extracted and then they are transfered next cycle?
    I'm travelling in the fall so I'm trying to figure out my schedule should we be moving on to IVF next.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
    wantbaby07

wantbaby07 New Member

It depends on your protocol. If you take BCP's, then the cycle length is appx 45 to 60 days. If you go directly with stims, it will take appx 28 days. Mostly for the first cycle, REs put on BCPs to suppress the hormones.

Hope it helps
    ally

ally New Member

Thank you for your reply, that does help!
    irena_adler

irena_adler New Member

You generally transfer the embryos just a few days after retriving them, so in the same cycle. I think that it's usually a bit longer than the 28 days because they want everything to be as stimulated as possible before they trigger.
    Christa

Christa New Member

Hi there, I just wanted to give you an etimate based on my experience. I started bcp on April 30th for 3 weeks, then lupron ended up being 3 weeks alone then added stims on 5/31. My ER was June 12th and transfer was the 17th. so it was more like 45 days plus a few to rest.

Good luck
    jerseyjandj

jerseyjandj New Member

everyone is a lil diff i was on bcp from feb then in march 10 started lupron then stimmed then triggered in april at had er4/3 and et on 4/9 good luck hopefully you wont get here and this iui works :pray:
    amfandrmf

amfandrmf New Member

Everything took me longer than the estimated protocol. My follicles were not growing as they should be and the whole cycle needed to be restarted. So, it really is hard to plan around this. I actually had to cancel a vacation we had planned to Disney World due to the timing wasn't what I had thought it would be.