DH just started Clomid for Low Sperm Count...any success stories??

Discussion in 'Infertility Support Forum' started by bfu1873, Jan 29, 2013.

bfu1873

bfu1873 New Member

I would love to hear from others in our situation. My husband just started Clomid 50 mg/day for low sperm count. His testosterone levels were low. His SA was 1 milllion! I also have low AMH .8 :( I'm looking for answers, don't know where to start.

Me: 38
    DH: 40
    missingmy#2

missingmy#2 New Member

When dh started clomid (50MG a day) his sperm count was 900,000 total motile. After 3 months on clomid his numbers were 87mil total motile. After 6 months on it, it went up to 256mil total motile. One thing to know is clomid might not work for everyone. After the 6th month dh's numbers started to go down again. 9 months his numbers were back down to 21mil total motile. While that isn't low by any means its normal it was lower.

DH has been off his clomid now, and before we start TTC again im going to get dh on Femara (letrozol) or Arimidex which have shown way better results than clomid.
    bfu1873

bfu1873 New Member

Thank you for your response Tiffany. I see by your signature, you have been at this for a while... I am getting ready to start the IUI process... If you don't mind me asking, were there other factors involved, besides low sperm count?
    missingmy#2

missingmy#2 New Member

That is our only factor. I have had the recurring pregnancy loss bloodwork done and I'm normal.
    FreeSwim

FreeSwim New Member

My DH used it for three months and although his count improved by 1 million and progression went from a '2' to '2+' it wasn't the response my RE was hoping for, and prepared us that we'll likely need IVF/ICSI. We had a BFP the next month, which unfortunately resulted in an MC. I have to have a uterine septum resected, which may have contributed to the MC, but I'm feeling better about our chances. We were told Clomid can raise counts to 20-30 million, hoping you're one of those cases!
    bfu1873

bfu1873 New Member

My DH was put on 25 MG of Clomid (hasn't been on it quite a month) go back for bloodwork in 2 weeks. I am noticing other DH's are on 50 MG of clomid, my DH is a big guy 6'6... wonder if he's on a high enough dosage...

Do you mind me asking what your DH SA were before the Clomid? How long did it take to see improvements?

How promising that you got a positive so soon!! Hopefully after you get your procedure done you will be successful again!

ME: 38, AMH .8
    DH: 40, Low T , precribed Clomid January 10
    SA 1 Million and 4 Million
    FreeSwim

FreeSwim New Member

BFU

his counts ranged from 14-16 million, motility is fair at 50% and morphology is 1%

His count post Clomid went to 17 million 59% motility and progression was improved, but my RE and the Urologist were expecting a much better improvement, like to bring his count up to 20-30 million.

He's also on 25 mg, the male fertility specalist checked his hormone levels after one month to assess if he needed to increase the dose.

Although it wasn't what the RE wanted, I'll take any thing that is going in the right direction!
    Greengreengrass

Greengreengrass New Member

moved to HCG

Hi there!
    I'm sorry you're dealing with this! My DH was initially placed on Clomid. We moved forward right away with IVF because we didn't want to wait to see if it worked. The Clomid caused his testosterone to rise a bit initially, but then it leveled off. His dose was increased, but his testosterone level didn't respond. It's now low, but almost normal, which is far from ideal. A few weeks ago the RE switched him to HCG injections twice a week. We'll know in a month if it's helping his testosterone and in about 3-4 months we can see if it's helping his Semen Analysis. In the meantime we've done IVF w/icsi (BFN) and FET (awaiting results).

I think we probably could have been a bit more aggressive with the clomid and switched to HCG a little bit more quickly. Not sure, though.

It seems that many men respond well to clomid! I don't think they can stay on it for long lengths of time, but usually long enough to grab some sperm for IVF?

I hope this helps a bit.... sorry it's not a success story for Clomid. If it's any consolation, male factor is SO VERY COMMMON. People just don't talk about it.