early pregnancy miscarriage after ivf

Discussion in 'Pregnancy Loss Miscarriage' started by lasdrm2bmom, Sep 23, 2007.

lasdrm2bmom

lasdrm2bmom New Member

I recently underwent ivf and was successful in getting pregnant. I had been told that my levels had started low and they were looking for them to double every two to three days. This started happening and I relaxed and allowed myself to become excited about becoming a mother.

Then on Wednesday last week, I received a call and was told the levels plummeted and it could result in miscarriage. There was still some hope so we waited and we prayed. Unfortunately, on Friday I was told that the levels dropped even more and it would definitely result in miscarriage. I have to return tomorrow for more monitoring because the levels must drop to zero.

The waiting is killing me. I am waiting to get a really bad period that will signal the end of my pregnancy. Since I know it is going to inevitably happen, I just wish it would. I am scared and all of this waiting is making it harder.

Has anyone else gone through this scenario or something similar to it? I know that I am lucky it is happening so early in my pregnancy, but it still feels like a loss.
    njdavis37

njdavis37 New Member

Hi yes, I just m/c 2 weeks ago, my first u/s no heartbeat and then confirmed a week later still no hb. I am still waiting to pass my fetus. :-(
    I am very very sorry this has happened, my prayers are with you and your DH.
    sunny72

sunny72 New Member

Hi there. I'm sorry for your loss. There are many of us here that can relate. I had a missed miscarriage recently which meant that the fetus had stopped growing at 6 weeks and at my 8 week u/s it still hadn't progressed/died. My ob-gyn recommended taking medication to start the miscarriage. It was a pretty miserable two weeks and when I hadn't stopped bleeding heavily I asked for a D&C so that I could have some closure.

I understand that it could take quite a few weeks to happen naturally, but everybody is different so there's no way to tell for sure. Has your RE or ob-gyn made any recommendations?

Sorry you have to go through this heartbreak and I hope that you don't have too much physical discomfort.
    Georgia1968

Georgia1968 New Member

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through basically the same thing that I have gone through/am going through. I went through IVF, got a BFP, and my beta got as high as 549 before it started falling. I stopped taking my PIO and patches when the level fell to 289 and four days later I started having what seemed like just a heavy period. It was never really painful (physically) and wasn't even really HEAVY heavy. It lasted for about 7 days then was done. That ended two days ago, and my body is still feeling like it is getting back to normal.

My heart goes out to you as you go through this. I used to be a regular contributor to the IVF forum but ever since the HCG started falling I have felt like I don't belong anyplace on the forum. So I lurk in the background and keep up with everyone else, and look forward to the day when I will be an active participant again. There are a lot of wonderful women here who will support you as you go through this.
    wannabigbabybelly

wannabigbabybelly New Member

I didn't have an IVF but I recently went through an early missed miscarriage.

Went in on 14dpo and my Beta was like 125 and my progestrone was around 45 which they said was really great.

At 6 weeks I had my first ultrasound and just saw the egg and yolk.

At 7 weeks we saw the baby right away and even got to see and hear it's heartbeat 125 beats per minute. But the babies size was small and they suspected that it was growing about a week behind schedule...but the encouraging part was that we had seen so much development within that week.

They had me come in 2 weeks later for another ultraound and we found out the baby had no heartbeat and hadn't grown at all since my last ultrasound infact it measured smaller.

I started spotting that afternoon but the real cramps and bleeding started several days later. The doctor said it would be like a heavy period with heavy cramping and bleeding.

But it was very painful for me (I've since heard that many doctors prescribe pain meds just in case you need it). Everyones body will respond differently and my miscarriage was VERY painful. (about 6 hours of very strong painful constant contractions and heavy bleeding and then a couple more hours of mild cramping, before it turned into a light/medium period).

I know this is a very hard time for you. It was for me. Especially waiting for the miscarriage to actually occur. once I knew the baby hadn't made it i too wanted it to be over and done with. It was very difficult walking around knowing that you still have your little one in you....you do need closure and when my miscarriage finally came so did the closure.

I'm so sorry for your loss, many of us have been there. My thoughts are with you:grouphug: .
    SchmennaLeigh

SchmennaLeigh New Member

Loss is still loss. Allow yourself to grieve.
    jenedens6102

jenedens6102 New Member

I lost my first pregnancy at 6 weeks 1 day due to ectopic. My levels started at a decent point and did double within the first weekend however beyond that point while they continued to double the rate was less and less each time. Finally after a week and a half of testing the number stalled and started to drop. I had the methotrexate injection due to the pregnancy not being found in my uterus and being suspected in my tubes. My miscarriage was rough but the bleeding wasn't any worse then a normal period. It was the cramping and hot flashes that hit me the hardest. My miscarriage lasted about 10 days total. I'm sorry to hear this is happening to you. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    HRMS MOM

HRMS MOM New Member

First let me just say that I am so sorry for you. I had the same thing happen to me with my first IVF in May. We lost our baby at 8 weeks 3 days. It is just so unfair that things like this can happen after so much has been invested in getting the BFP in the first place.

Lots of hugs your way:grouphug: and just know that you will get through this and try again. It may take sometime. I still get knots in my stomach when I think of how far along I should be but I am also excited that the next step in our journey to becoming parents is right around the corner.

Martie
    teachrach

teachrach New Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I actually just had a miscarriage this past week as well. I was very early- only about 5 weeks. It's still hard though. It is a loss and you do need to grieve. I miscarried in December as well, so this was a real blow emotionally. I keep trying to remind myself that it will happen for me. It's just hard to see most of my friends with babies, or pregnant with their second. We've been trying for 1 1/2 years- first IUI, then just had our first cycle of IVF. I'm just worried because I think that there may be something else wrong with me, and that's why I can't stay pregnant. We had two healthy embryos implanted- so I keep reminding myself of that.
    dylansmommy

dylansmommy New Member

i am sorry for your loss ..it is a loss and you deserve to grieve i know how terrible it feels that you know it is happening and there is nothing you can do ..i felt like if it was gonna happen then it needed to hurry up becuz everyday was as sad as the next and i did not begin to feel even a little better until after everything was passed..I was barely 5 weeks when i lost the pregnancy and knew i was lucky it had occurred so early but it is still a terrible thing and deserves recognition..I am sorry
    naomi
    youngtucker

youngtucker New Member

I am very new to this and am doing my first IVF cycle in August.

Why do these miscarriages occur, is there a reason? I am so nervous. At what point are you considered, "safe".

I am crying for all of your losses, and it is so sad for you to have to go through this.
    wannabigbabybelly

wannabigbabybelly New Member

My first one they suspected just a random chromosomal issue. They didn't test me or the baby or anything.

Then the same thing happened again. This time I had a D&C and they tested the baby. It came back with a random, and most common chromosomal problem that was incompatible with life. Trisomy 16.

Then I got pregnant again with fraternal twins and one made it the other didn't. Again, I lost that one early and believe it was due to a chromosomal issue, since it happened so early in the pregnancy.

For me it was usually pretty clear by the first or second ultrasound wether things were looking good or questionable...and for the times I lost the babies it was always confirmed by the the ultrasound around 9 weeks that their was no heartbeat and no growth.
    arctictrail

arctictrail New Member

i amgoing through the exact same thing. 12 days post transfer low positive result (hcg 31) then it went to 70 and thn over 1oo. Clinic my hubby and I were ecstatic. at about 5 weeks pregnant I started to bleed. I went to the hospital hcg was 201 then 48 hrs later it was 64.

my clinic took me off meds. I am have appointmnt at clinic in a week for ultra sound and discuss next steps

am gutt

What Is IVF

At this forum I and my wife are so pleased to have been able to help so many couples start their family through In vitro fertilization.

What is IVF.? I would like to share few real facts as an IVF patients and share our struggles, offer hope and encouragement for the journey we have considered through In vitro fertilization.

It sounds crazy, but Kyle and I agree that it wouldn’t have been devastating if we failed our first trip. As we have to go back and see if everyone and everything out there is alright. Yeah, I had to move out and go for shopping! When we have failed cycles in the states, had many failures at states and realized like the money is just getting wasted. It just got volatile. Although my wife didn’t get pregnant on the first try, the money we spent gave us a great memories and vacation. People we met in different places were too friendly and more helpful but not the treatments we actually went for. The food was great. At last IVF when done at Los Angeles gave us rest for a while when my wife at last got pregnant. Thank god it worked this time.
    Margie70

Margie70 New Member

misscarriages and baby loss,

Hi everybody,im new to these.but i just want to say to all of you that i know the feeling of lossing your baby,,that baby that you been waiting with sooo much love.i just lost my beautifull baby boy last week on sept.the 9th at 22 weeks pregnant.its been so hard for me and my husband,,it was our second ivf cycle,so don't think you are alone,there's alot of us going through the same thing,,i feel for all of you and when i read the stories about the loss of a baby i broke in tears,,,may god bless you all and my prayers are with you all,,
    Vesper

Vesper New Member

It doesn't matter how early it is - it's still devastating and my heart is with you. It's always a hard experience, and so many of us here have similar stories, and are here to support each other.