estradiol levels too high on day 3

Discussion in 'Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)' started by hannah01, Apr 4, 2008.

hannah01

hannah01 New Member

hi ladies, it's been awhile since my IUI days, but i've got a friend doing iui injectibles right now and i wanted to ask a question on her behalf.

the last 2 months when she has gone in on day 3, her estradiol (e2) levels are too high so her RE has cancelled her cycle. apparently this is because there is already a lead follicle producing e2, and therefore starting the injections would be pointless. this month, her e2 on day 3 was 57 (her RE likes to see it below 50) and on day 4 was already up to 90. he suggested the possibility that this could be related to a low ovarian reserve.

have any of you had a similar experience with e2 levels being too high early in your cycle? if so, how did your RE deal with it, and/or what did they tell you it meant? appreciate any advice ... my friend is on month 2 of bcp's and we all know how much that sucks! thanks for any tips. :grouphug:
    hopenpray

hopenpray New Member

I just came back from an appt with my RE. I discovered that my FSH is elevated = low ovarian reservie. In that conversion she told me that elevated estradiol levels lets them know that the FSH level is unreliable. She said this could mean that a patient would have low ovarian reserve, even with a normal FSH. Hope this info helps.

Give my best to your friend :grouphug:
    hopenpray

hopenpray New Member

I just came back from an appt with my RE. I discovered that my FSH is elevated = low ovarian reservie. In that conversion she told me that elevated estradiol levels lets them know that the FSH level is unreliable. She said this could mean that a patient would have low ovarian reserve, even with a normal FSH. Hope this info helps.

Give my best to your friend :grouphug:
    tracilynn

tracilynn New Member

my high estradiol levels on cd3 always meant cyst and I would get canceled or have to take BCP to get rid of the cyst but since your friend has already been on BCP for 2 months I'm not sure what she can do about the levels - seems like BCPs would bring the E2 down... that's tough. I hope they figure it out.
    tracilynn

tracilynn New Member

my high estradiol levels on cd3 always meant cyst and I would get canceled or have to take BCP to get rid of the cyst but since your friend has already been on BCP for 2 months I'm not sure what she can do about the levels - seems like BCPs would bring the E2 down... that's tough. I hope they figure it out.
    DeannaRN

DeannaRN New Member

My E2 is high in almost every cycle. I do have decreased ovarian reserve and they believe that is why I have high E2's. On my first IUI, my E2 was 92 on day 2 of my cycle. When they repeated it on day 3, it was 143. I couldn't believe it. I was getting ready to start my first injectible cycle and my RE cancelled the meds saying there was no point in doing them that cycle. I would likely not get more than one follicle. I was devestated since I was all ready to move forward. I was given the option of waiting for my OPK to be positive and I did a natural IUI. So that may be an option for her.

On my next cycle, my E2's were better but still a little elevated. My RE will go ahead with the injectibles if the E2 is borderline (70's). Mine was 71 on day 2. On that cycle I had 3-4 mature follicles but was using high doses of Gonal-F (300 IU). My last cycle day 2 was 67. They like to do my U/S and blood work on day 2 now and start my injectibles that day if things look good. I tend to ovulate early in the cycle (day 9 or 10) since my follicle has had a head start at growing. They tell me that when you have decreased ovarian reserve the folllicles start growing before you even get AF so by day 3 labs, the E2 levels are already high.

An E2 of 57 is not high. My RE wants them <60 so I would be thrilled with that number but I guess RE's are different in their thinking. Maybe she can try to start her injectibles on day 2. That seems to work for me and I get between 2-4 follicles which they say is perfect.
    DeannaRN

DeannaRN New Member

My E2 is high in almost every cycle. I do have decreased ovarian reserve and they believe that is why I have high E2's. On my first IUI, my E2 was 92 on day 2 of my cycle. When they repeated it on day 3, it was 143. I couldn't believe it. I was getting ready to start my first injectible cycle and my RE cancelled the meds saying there was no point in doing them that cycle. I would likely not get more than one follicle. I was devestated since I was all ready to move forward. I was given the option of waiting for my OPK to be positive and I did a natural IUI. So that may be an option for her.

On my next cycle, my E2's were better but still a little elevated. My RE will go ahead with the injectibles if the E2 is borderline (70's). Mine was 71 on day 2. On that cycle I had 3-4 mature follicles but was using high doses of Gonal-F (300 IU). My last cycle day 2 was 67. They like to do my U/S and blood work on day 2 now and start my injectibles that day if things look good. I tend to ovulate early in the cycle (day 9 or 10) since my follicle has had a head start at growing. They tell me that when you have decreased ovarian reserve the folllicles start growing before you even get AF so by day 3 labs, the E2 levels are already high.

An E2 of 57 is not high. My RE wants them <60 so I would be thrilled with that number but I guess RE's are different in their thinking. Maybe she can try to start her injectibles on day 2. That seems to work for me and I get between 2-4 follicles which they say is perfect.
    kandygurl1971

kandygurl1971 New Member

I had been told the same thing. Moderate FSH but elevated E2 levels on CD3 of 93. I read on the internet that a cyst could elevate that number which would explain it for me because I've had a huge cyst (larger than my uterus) since Sept of last year that has been aspirated but it still there. Not sure why I was never prescribed BCP for either of my 2 IVF cycles but I will be undergoing a lap with a possible myomectomy and removal of tube(s) next month.

Hannah so happy to see you progressing so nicely. How have you been feeling?
    kandygurl1971

kandygurl1971 New Member

I had been told the same thing. Moderate FSH but elevated E2 levels on CD3 of 93. I read on the internet that a cyst could elevate that number which would explain it for me because I've had a huge cyst (larger than my uterus) since Sept of last year that has been aspirated but it still there. Not sure why I was never prescribed BCP for either of my 2 IVF cycles but I will be undergoing a lap with a possible myomectomy and removal of tube(s) next month.

Hannah so happy to see you progressing so nicely. How have you been feeling?
    hannah01

hannah01 New Member

thank you for your responses! it sounds like this is a somewhat common thing ... i am hoping that she'll just be able to start doing her injectibles on day 2 instead of day 3. this whole iui/ivf process is just one big game of timing isn't it? can be maddening.

kandygurl, i'm doing really well thank you! it's weird to look back a year ago and see where i was ... iui #3 i believe. i see on your signature you were going to have a lap... have you yet? you hear about a lot of girls getting pregnant after that. :cross:

thanks again for your responses! good luck to all you IUI girls. :flower:
    hannah01

hannah01 New Member

thank you for your responses! it sounds like this is a somewhat common thing ... i am hoping that she'll just be able to start doing her injectibles on day 2 instead of day 3. this whole iui/ivf process is just one big game of timing isn't it? can be maddening.

kandygurl, i'm doing really well thank you! it's weird to look back a year ago and see where i was ... iui #3 i believe. i see on your signature you were going to have a lap... have you yet? you hear about a lot of girls getting pregnant after that. :cross:

thanks again for your responses! good luck to all you IUI girls. :flower:
    readyinKC

readyinKC New Member

culturevulture

culturevulture New Member

E2 and FSH

Hello Everyone,

I'm 37, had an ectopic pregnancy 10 years ago, and I'm just beginning to try to get pregnant now. I asked my doctor about my CD3 results, but she said she'd rather rely on ultrasound than the blood results, and things looked good on the screen. I would like to have more information than that. Can anyone read/interpret these results, or send me to a url that would help me understand these?

Estradiol 93
    FSH 5.8
    LH 5.9
    Prolactin 5.6
    TSH 1.86

Are these numbers good, or should I worry about my high E2 levels? (I was on birth control pills for 10 days before my period started due to functional ovarian cysts, and there was a dip 16 days prior to this test, E2 was 42)

Thank you.