Estrogen Levels High Day 3 HELP

Discussion in 'In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)' started by tryingforarainbow, Mar 25, 2010.

tryingforarainbow

tryingforarainbow New Member

Hi All,

This is my first post. I am 30 years old and my husband and I are currently trying IVF for the first time because both of my tubes are blocked.

My baseline estrogen level was like 53, and today, on stim day 3, I was told it is around 255. My doc had me on follistim at 200iui, and now cut me back to 150 iui, and has asked me to come in tomorrow for b/w and u/s (instead of Saturday as previously planned). I am so nervous now. Is this level (250 on day three) bad? Is it way too high? Has anyone had success at similiarly high levels.

Any response would be greatly appreciated!
    rsb528

rsb528 New Member

Hi...I don't have any advice but I am in the same exact boat!! I went in for my CD3 b/w and was told that my estrogen level is at 280 and should be below 50. I am 31 years old and the nurse on the phone mentioned the words 'pre-menopausal' to me. I haven't started any IVF meds yet but was started on BCP for 21 days and then I will go back for another baseline test. Hopefully, it goes down.

Good luck to you. If you find out something, let me know!
    prayingfo2

prayingfo2 New Member

It's high yes but not bad. I started my stims on a Wed and when I went on that Saturday my was 471...They keep close eye on it to make sure you are not going to fast and end up with OHSS. Then on Sunday I was 681, then on Monday it was 1400 something, then on Wednesday it was 2500 something! I still haven't hit OHSS! You are okay!
    tryingforarainbow

Rachel- How frustrating! Sending you lots of good luck wishes that it all works out!

Prayingfo2- How high would it have to go to be OHSS?
    tryingforarainbow

Has anyone else done well with such high numbers so early?

Is there anyone out there that has done well with such high numbers so early?
    Peabody1

Peabody1 New Member

My estrogen level prior to starting stims was sky high. I don't remember the exact #, but it was pretty high. I was so afraid that I was pre-menopausal, but it turns out I had a cyst that was causing the high estrogen level. My cycle was delayed a little, but the next month my number was under 50.
    rsb528

rsb528 New Member

Peabody-This may really sound like a silly question, but I have never gone through any of this before (so bare with me).
    You said that it turned out you had a cyst that was causing your high estrogen levels. What did they do about the cyst? Is that something that they remove or does it go away on it's own?

Again, I have never gone through this. I feel like I am in the dark as far as all of this IF stuff sometimes. My nurse at my RE's office never said what could be the cause of my high estrogen levels. We have not started any fertility meds yet...so my high level was all on it's own. I assumed it may be due to stress...but have no idea. Thanks for your help. :)
    Peabody1

Peabody1 New Member

Rachel, Not a silly question at all! For my cyst we just waited to see if it would resolve on it's own which thankfully it did. I was never told what they would have done had it not resolved, but I'm assuming they could have removed it. I also had not started any meds either so the high estrogen was all me as well! I was in such a panic. I know it's hard, but try not to worry.
    rsb528

rsb528 New Member

Peabody-thanks for the info. I'm hoping it a cyst is the case that it too resolves on its own. I've never had anything wrong with me and haven't had to go through any surgeries or procedures (except for the birth of my DS). I do get worried way too easy, as we all tend to do. I just hate not knowing what is going to happen. I like to think that I have control over my body and what happens, but I don't...at all! I am a huge planner/organizer so to go through something like this is crazy.
    I am trying to stay positive and have done a few things to try and help me relax, but we will see. :)
    jodyplustwinsx2

jodyplustwinsx2 New Member

Just to clarify, you're talking about day 3 ON stims, right? It seems like a lot of the people commenting are discussing their day 3 estrogen NOT on stims, which is something entirely different.

My day 3 on stims estrogen level this time was 90. However, I ALWAYS start slow. Some girls respond much quicker than I do and seem to do just fine. 250 is high but not crazy high. GL!
    tryingforarainbow

Yes, day 3 on stims. Today, day 4, my estrogen was 546 so they have dropped my follistim to 125 and started ganerelix. I am trying so hard to just think positive and trust the process, but we have had a terrible couple years, having lost our only child to cancer at the end of '08, and then discovering that both my tubes are blocked at the end of '09. I just REALLY need this to work out. :cross:
    jodyplustwinsx2

jodyplustwinsx2 New Member

Oh, if you're on an antagonist protocol, it's a whole different ballgame. My understanding is that, because they wait a few days to start you on the antagonist (in this case, Ganirelix), your estrogen numbers will be higher initially than someone on the Long Lupron protocol. I wouldn't worry at all. It sounds like you're just responding very well. Adjusting meds is a normal part of the process.

GL to you!
    MRB09

MRB09 New Member

I think it's great of them to cut you back when you're responding so well you can check out my signature and see that both times I went from low to skyrocket and this last cycle the RE let the resident make the decision to keep me on the same dose when he would have lowered it. My whole cycle was a fiasco, I even had to coast a day before trigger to get my E2 down. But it's been soo worth it hang in there and be so glad they have a handle on it and are monitoring you so closely. :babydust: &:bsv:
    I know this process is stressful but try to relax and stay positive!
    stefanieleigh81

stefanieleigh81 New Member

Its weird beause I was just going to post a question about high estrogen! ha ha. I'm in a simular boat, my stem medication has now been delayed 2 weeks because my estrogen will not go down. the doctor has increased my lupron from 20 units to 40, and staring monday i'm going on a drug called "depo lupron". the doctor said its a stronger lupron and it should bring my estrogen levels down. she said its in the muscle and i have to be taught how to do it b/c i could hit a nerve or something like that...
    has anyone ever been on depo lupron to lower your estrogen levels for IVF???
    thanks ladies!! :eek:)
    tryingforarainbow

thanks so much mrb09 and jody. This IVF is so much for of an emotional rollercoaster than I expected.

I haven't heard of debo lupron, but I am sure someone on here will post an answer for you. Good luck :)
    Peabody1

Peabody1 New Member

tryingforarainbow, sorry I sort of hijacked your thread answering Rachel's question. Yes, we were discussing something entirely different. It seems that you've had some ladies chime in with the correct information.