Foods to eat/avoid during IVF?

Discussion in 'In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)' started by wishing, Feb 3, 2008.

wishing

wishing New Member

Are there any foods I should stay away from during this process?

Are there any foods I need to make sure I eat plenty of?

What about the Gatorade thing? Some people say yes to drink it, and some people say absolutely not! I know my RE will tell me more specifically what to do, but I thought I'd ask you ladies anyway!

Thanks!!
    dherbert

dherbert New Member

NO CAFFINE!!! I have heard eating pineapple after the transfer is good for implantation & you need to eat the core of the pineapple also. They say cut back on sweets and carbs, but I have yet to do this part.
    Just basically eat healthy drink plenty of water. Some peolpe say drink gatorade to help with ohss, I personally dont see how that would help bloating because gatorade is very high in sodium. So some people are for it and some are not. I say stick with plenty of water!
    dherbert

dherbert New Member

NO CAFFINE!!! I have heard eating pineapple after the transfer is good for implantation & you need to eat the core of the pineapple also. They say cut back on sweets and carbs, but I have yet to do this part.
    Just basically eat healthy drink plenty of water. Some peolpe say drink gatorade to help with ohss, I personally dont see how that would help bloating because gatorade is very high in sodium. So some people are for it and some are not. I say stick with plenty of water!
    tinarapp

tinarapp New Member

Eat lots of veggies and fruit

My doctor says no caffeine. Some say eat pineapple. I can't stand gatorade, so that is not on my list. Eating lots of fruits and veggies to keep you healthy and regular. This is my problem, going #2 (I know TMI). But that is a side effect of some of the meds, especially progesterone. Walnuts are suppose to help fertility, I eat a handful every-so-often.

Good luck!!!
    tinarapp

tinarapp New Member

Eat lots of veggies and fruit

My doctor says no caffeine. Some say eat pineapple. I can't stand gatorade, so that is not on my list. Eating lots of fruits and veggies to keep you healthy and regular. This is my problem, going #2 (I know TMI). But that is a side effect of some of the meds, especially progesterone. Walnuts are suppose to help fertility, I eat a handful every-so-often.

Good luck!!!

Before my ET I quit drinking all caffiene, alcohol and increased my protein and fresh fruits and vegetables. It is good to eat healthy, you will benefit from it too because ivf is stressful and can drain you of energy. I didn't eat any crazy fad foods but my acupuncturist told me to keep my uterus warm before and after the transfer. It is part of a Chinese medicine belief that the uterus should be kept warm.

Some foods that pregnant women should avoid are:
    Deli meat, fish with mercury, smoked seafood, raw eggs and fish like sushi, soft cheese that is not pasterized(American made are usually ok but check the label to make sure they are pasterized), alcohol and caffeine.

Before my ET I quit drinking all caffiene, alcohol and increased my protein and fresh fruits and vegetables. It is good to eat healthy, you will benefit from it too because ivf is stressful and can drain you of energy. I didn't eat any crazy fad foods but my acupuncturist told me to keep my uterus warm before and after the transfer. It is part of a Chinese medicine belief that the uterus should be kept warm.

Some foods that pregnant women should avoid are:
    Deli meat, fish with mercury, smoked seafood, raw eggs and fish like sushi, soft cheese that is not pasterized(American made are usually ok but check the label to make sure they are pasterized), alcohol and caffeine.
    Tanya75

Tanya75 New Member

how long before your ET did you stop caffeine, alcohol?
    Tanya75

Tanya75 New Member

how long before your ET did you stop caffeine, alcohol?
    buttercupnectar

buttercupnectar New Member

RE: Caffeine

When it came to giving up my diet pepsi I thought that I would die. But RE said to get down to one a day. So I managed to go from 6 cans a day to zero as of 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a sip and I find that aside from the taste I really don't miss it.

Butter
    buttercupnectar

buttercupnectar New Member

RE: Caffeine

When it came to giving up my diet pepsi I thought that I would die. But RE said to get down to one a day. So I managed to go from 6 cans a day to zero as of 2 weeks ago. I haven't had a sip and I find that aside from the taste I really don't miss it.

Butter
    charms

charms New Member

Gatorade is to help with OHSS, it replaces the electolytes your body is not allowing to be absorbed properly.

i still have a little bit of caffine, not something that was completely cut out but it has been 4 years for me. I drink decaf coffee/tea, which has small amounts of caffine, dispite being called decaf.

eating lots of fresh foods like fruits and veggies is good you all the time, but be cautious not to eat too much acid foods during the 2ww - pinapple core can assist in providing the correct type of acid in the uteres for implantation, however eating too much will cause too much acid in the uteres and cause difficulity in implantation - it really is a fine line with moderation.

Definately stay away from non processed dairy and cold lunch meats, raw fish, undercooked meats, and too much artificial sweeteners.
    charms

charms New Member

Gatorade is to help with OHSS, it replaces the electolytes your body is not allowing to be absorbed properly.

i still have a little bit of caffine, not something that was completely cut out but it has been 4 years for me. I drink decaf coffee/tea, which has small amounts of caffine, dispite being called decaf.

eating lots of fresh foods like fruits and veggies is good you all the time, but be cautious not to eat too much acid foods during the 2ww - pinapple core can assist in providing the correct type of acid in the uteres for implantation, however eating too much will cause too much acid in the uteres and cause difficulity in implantation - it really is a fine line with moderation.

Definately stay away from non processed dairy and cold lunch meats, raw fish, undercooked meats, and too much artificial sweeteners.
    hannah01

hannah01 New Member

i've read some interesting reports connecting green tea to increased fertility ... i started drinking that when i gave up coffee during fertility treatments. :)
    hannah01

hannah01 New Member

i've read some interesting reports connecting green tea to increased fertility ... i started drinking that when i gave up coffee during fertility treatments. :)

Tanya, I gave up all alcohol a month before ET and most caffiene. One week I would only have one cup of coffee or a few sips and then I just switched to a herbal no caffeine coffee Teeccino Herbal Coffee / What is Herbal Coffee

It is not necessary to quit so far ahead of time but it was easier for me to do it that way. I didn't want to be going through coffee withdrawals during my 2ww!!

Tanya, I gave up all alcohol a month before ET and most caffiene. One week I would only have one cup of coffee or a few sips and then I just switched to a herbal no caffeine coffee Teeccino Herbal Coffee / What is Herbal Coffee

It is not necessary to quit so far ahead of time but it was easier for me to do it that way. I didn't want to be going through coffee withdrawals during my 2ww!!
    ScootiesGirl

ScootiesGirl New Member

Does this include fresh deli meat? Is it because of preservativesand does fresh cut deli meat fit in that category?
    ScootiesGirl

ScootiesGirl New Member

Does this include fresh deli meat? Is it because of preservativesand does fresh cut deli meat fit in that category?
    Shasta18

Shasta18 New Member

I've learned that cooked eggs are a great source of "complete" protein, containing lots of great stuff but especially omega-3's (really important if you're vegetarian, as I am).

The hardest thing for me to give up was my one cup of coffee a day. There was a study just recently covered in the press about high caffeine intake and increased risk of miscarriage. I'm sure everyone here saw that a couple weeks ago. There are lots of differing opinions on if that is true or not. Teechino was good, but now I just drink decaf. I'm looking forward to drinking it again when I'm done with fertility stuff, as I truly believe that it makes me a much nicer person!

Obviously, alcohol isn't good during pregnancy (Fetal Alcohol Syndrome), so it might be good to start cutting down on that now to make it easier when you're doing your 2ww. Good luck!