How does unblocking a blocked fallopian tube work?

Discussion in 'Blocked Fallopian Tubes' started by coco1976, Oct 27, 2005.

coco1976

coco1976 New Member

How does unblocking a blocked fallopian tube work? What I mean is, just because you open an apparent blockage, is that all you have to do? Do the little "fingers" at the end of the tubes have to do anything to get the eggs to go up into the fallopian tubes? Opening up closed fallopian tubes to me just seems real simplistic - is that all it takes when doctors think the only problem is blocked tubes?

How do fallopian tubes get blocked in the first place?
    mypak

mypak New Member

How can i view all the replies that you received on your blocked fallopian tubes post? I have 1 blocked fallopian tubes. Is there any medication/supplements that I can take to unblock it other than surgery?

thanks

dndtaylor

dndtaylor New Member

Hi Ladies-
    I know a little about this subject because this is my #1 reason for infertility. Sadly both of my tubes were blocked from disease (aka unknown). My DH and I talked with the RE about unblocking them and he stated the odds are not too good that they would become unblocked long enough for a pregnancy. According to the RE the rubes would slowly regrow themselves and possibly become blocked again. Because it was so long before I knew that my tubes were blocked, they started to swell up to 1.5 inches and were filled with unknown fluid. We are about to start IVF and the RE stated that the best option tube wise was to remove them, so that is what I did last week. We should hopefully be starting IVF soon.

I wish you both good luck, hopefully this helps a little. If there were medication or anything that I could have done other than surgery, trust me I'd have done it. Best Wishes to you all.
    Gemmabean

Gemmabean New Member

Before I had my HSG, the RE explained that sometime MUCUS can be the cause of a blockage, and when they inject the dye into your tubes during an HSG, that can clear up that type of blockage.

"They" say you have a better chance of conceiving the cycle after an HSG. This may be because your blockage was mucus and it was cleared before the procedure and has not had a chance to build up again.

That's all I know. I hope it helps.

Mypak, you can subscribe to this thread, under Thread Tools at the top, then you will get notified via email or whatever when anyone posts to this thread. 8) How in the world did I get to be such a nerdy goober??

Love and luck!
    Julie
    PreciousLife

PreciousLife New Member

Trying again!

I also thought that I couldn't have children, and had every test in the world done on me, and my last test was checking my tubes and they also used dye to check my tubes and no more than a month later I got :preg: and had my baby girl. But now I see myself in the same situation again so I hope I can just get my tubes unblocked and it's all over and done with.
    tulip23

tulip23 New Member

Sometimes its only the blocked tubes that is stopping you from having a baby since the eggs and sperm cannot meet each other due to the blocked tube.But your suspicion is correct.Sometimes its not always as simple as that.There can be several other problems associated with it.The "little fingers" calle cilia move the eggs down into the tube and their absence can affect fertility.But then things need to be resolved one step at a time.Thats probably the reason why your doc is proceeding the way he is.The tubes can be blocked due to several reasons..mucus,infection,inflamatin etc.There can be many other cause.All the best!!!!!
    dreamofbaby

dreamofbaby New Member

Just found out

Today was a terrrible day. I had an HSG exam and they concluded that my left tube is blocked. So now I have two conditions; PCOS and a blocked tube. It looks like it will be close to impossible to have children. I can't imagine going through fertility medication for years. I am going to just accept my fate: that I can't have children. I can just die right now. It seems unnatural for this to be happening to any women. We are here to give life, why is this so hard?
    I am sorry, I am just venting. I just don't know what to do now?

:(
    Gemmabean

Gemmabean New Member

Cheryl,

I'm so sorry to hear your news, but I have to ask, what about your right tube??? I'm here to tell you: you can overcome the PCOS side of infertility, and if you still have one good tube, I'd say don't give up yet!

Take care of you sister, you will get though this, but I know, today sucks! :grouphug:

Love,
    Julie

kitkat7782

kitkat7782 New Member

Well, I had tubal issues--which is why I did IVF. One of my tubes had a hydrosalpinx? My OB said lots of things can block your tubes. Scar tissue, adhesions from surgery, infection....who knows? Then I got pregnant with one tube...but the embryo was stuck in the tube and I lost that one as well. He said it does make a difference as to the location. The portion of the tube that they removed was the "catcher" portion at the top of the tube. It cannot be replaced. My OB also told me that the other tube could be operated on but the chances were not good of it working, and the risk of ectopic becomes even greater. He told me IVF was my only option. I hope you find the answers you need!
    dndtaylor

dndtaylor New Member

Cheryl - I too am here to tell you not to let the tubes get in the way of you having a baby. BOTH my tubes were bad and I 'm working with neither at this time. I had both removed so that DH and I could move to IVF ... I'm getting ready to start IVF #1. Please don't think your journey is over ... if there is a will, there is a way - YOUR CAN'T GIVE UP!!! :grouphug:
    dreamofbaby

dreamofbaby New Member

Thanks

Thank you so much ladies for your kind words. I have been crying on and off all day. I cried when I read your posts. I cry eveytime I think about the journey in front of me. I am so afraid of all the medication and procedures. I will try to stick with it as long as I can. I have faith in God that he will guide me to the right path.
    All of you are so brave and an inspiration. Even though we are not related or even know each other well we are united by this sad bond of infertility. For that I am thankful and I know that the journey will be that less stressful because I hve your support. Thank you!
    dndtaylor

dndtaylor New Member

Hey Cheryl- Take the time that you need to decide what steps would be best for you in the future, just remember that there are so many different reasons for IF that this forum is going to be the best source of support. I'm scared to death about what road lies ahead for me; IVF is so scary and HUGE that I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. I have no clue how I'm going to do with this whole injeection thing - but I'll step up and get the crash course. I look at it though that this is our ONLY oppurtunity to have our own baby; so in that regards I'm going to give whatever I need to a shot and hope things work the way they are meant too. Something that I'm learning and trying to live by, take it 1 day at a time. Otherwise this whole IF thing is so overwhelming that I'd dry myself crazy and probably give up and feel hopeless for myself. Just saying - think about it, stay positive, ask questions and do what your heart tells you. I agree with you; this place is great and I may not know you or any of the other folks on here psersonally, but together we are close because of IF.

Okay- sorry everyone this got a bit rambly and sappy .. guess my emotions are running away these days! :grouphug:
    dreamofbaby

dreamofbaby New Member

Hey

Hey dndtaylor,

I wish I could have stayed in bed all day today but I decided to go out and be active. I actually went to the gym and had a training session. Even though I wasn't in the best of spirits, I almost started crying twice while I was there, I get threw it.
    I thought a lot about what was said here and I decided to give it all I got. I even went to get my metformin medication. I must admit that I find it hard to stay optimistic but I am trying.
    I am going to try to keep my mind on other things for today and like you said just take it 1 day at a time.
    You know I am a teacher. I look at my kids and feel so happy when I am around them. I am going to try to concentrate on my kids and take up some hobbies again. Maybe this way it will be easier to handle this struggle. Thank you again for your support. It is wonderful to have this support system. Staying strong with your support!!!
    Cheryl
    dndtaylor

dndtaylor New Member

Glad that you were able to think about things Cheryl. Like I said before, I'm scared about the paths that lie ahead but I'm going to give it my all and most of all take it one day at a time. So I guess we will be seeing you around .... Great news! Have a great weekend - enjoy yourself!
    dreamofbaby

dreamofbaby New Member

Hey

Hey Devan,

Good luck on your path. I wish you the best. Have a great weekend.

Cheryl
    dreamofbaby

dreamofbaby New Member

Question?

I have a question about the HSG exam. I had my exam done on Friday and it was painful as crap. They told me not to have sex for 24 hours. I followed the directions. Last night me and my fiance had sex. But this morning I woke up with blood all over; is that normal? I didn't feel pain during sex or after so I am wondering why I am bleeding? Should I call my doctor? Could have the exam brought down my period? I had my period from the end of November to the beginning of December.
    Sorry if this is too much information. I am just a little worried. If anyone has any input I would love to hear it.
    Cheryl
    dndtaylor

dndtaylor New Member

I know what I had my HSG there was light spotting for a day or two and then that was it. Seems like you BD'ing may have just brought your dreaded :af: . I'd call the RE in the am just to make sure if you honestly don't feel that it is :af: . Probably nothing to worry about though. Hope you had a good weekend?! I go to injection class on Thurs ... Yeah :woohoo: !
    dreamofbaby

dreamofbaby New Member

Hey

Hello dndtaylor,

I am not worried about it. I figure that it was time to get it anyway. I wish you the best of luck with the injectables. Are you scared? I think I would be. I am sure that everything will turn out great. At the end it is all worth it.

Cheryl
    lisa_verburg

lisa_verburg New Member

I have been battling with pcos for three-four years and found out last july my tubes were blocked (both of them) the Dr. I was seeing at the time pushed ivf so hard and I was so stressed and mad that this could happen to me, then I got a second opinion and he is wonderful he did laproscopic surg. on me and both my tubes are fine. working on ovulation now. Good luck you will have your ups and downs but everything happens for a reason.
    dreamofbaby

dreamofbaby New Member

Lisa

Thank you for the kind words. I was so stressed when the doctor first told me about the blocked tube. Then I came here and got a lot of encouraging words. I am hoping that one tube might be enought to get BFP. If not then I might have to get the Lap Surg. Was it painful?
    I know that at times I feel like giving up. Then there are times that I feel confident and full of hope. I have to realize that I am not the only one going through these issues.
    I wish you luck with your ovulation. That is what I am hoping for. Keep me updated on your progress.
    Thanks again,
    Cheryl