How much Sperm count required for IUI?

Discussion in 'Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)' started by babyhope66, Jun 29, 2011.

babyhope66

babyhope66 New Member

hi guys, do you think the following numbers are good enough for me to undergo IUI. My insurance doesn't cover anything for infertility so I am trying to do as much research as possible to help me decide. I had a varicocelectomy last October and my numbers have improved significantly.

Below are results from my latest SA test:
    Count - 42 million
    Motility - 45%
    Kruger Strict Morphology: 6%
    Motility Grade - 1.5 (I am most concerned about this)

Pre-surgery numbers (about 8 months back):
    Count - 1 million
    Motility - 30%
    Kruger Strict Morphology: 4%

Forward Progression - 3
    missingmy#2

missingmy#2 New Member

That depends on the RE. My RE will NOT do a IUI without atleast 10 million total motile washed sperm. Some will do it with 5 million total motile washed sperm. I've seen success with BFP with 1-3 million, but they are rare. 10-20 million total motile has been proven to have better success. But anything over 20 million total motile doesn't give better success.

With your top numbers of 42 million subtract 45% motility that will = 18.9 total motile sperm. So you'd have to see how many of those 18.9 million total would survive the washing process, but i don't think you'd lose alot. I'd ask for a test washing s/a so you know if IUI would work.
    Leesh

Leesh New Member

My RE requires 3 million and that's what we got pregnant with. 3 million with 43% motility so actually we had about 1.4 million motile sperm (If I remember right. I didn't do that math again). Good luck.
    LelaMN

LelaMN New Member

Your story gives us hope! What were your kmbers like for the IUI? So far we have found nothing with me...clomid thinned my lining a little, but that is it...
    rashin4

rashin4 New Member

aS pER RE

5 MILLION MOTILE- BETTER
    3 MILLION MOTILE- STILL OK
    BUT BELOW THAT PREGNANCY RATES FALL A LOT

he has sen pregnancies with a slow as 1 million motile
    Prayin4MyMiracle

Prayin4MyMiracle New Member

My RE requires 1 million which is a very low number. My first IUI I had 1.5 million only which resulted in a BFN. My 2nd IUI I had 5 million which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I'm hoping for a lot more in my upcoming 3rd and final IUI!

Good luck to you!