Multiples w/ IUI??

Discussion in 'Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)' started by scrappyqban, Apr 7, 2008.

scrappyqban

scrappyqban New Member

Hi ladies,
    My husband and I are hopefully going to go through our first IUI at the end of this month. I have to say I am excited and nervous. After reading this forum I have learned not too get to overly excited, because it may take more than one try.

Now, here is my question. What are the chances of having multiple babies with IUI. I know with invitro you run the risk of multiples, but IUI too?? Anyone here have multiples or has heard something from their RE's?

I have also been wathcing John & Kate plus 8, which I just found out they got their 6 babies from IUI.... AHHHH... Help! Put my nerves at ease ladies..
    babygood1

babygood1 New Member

IUI and IVF

With IUI there is less control...IVF you have more control.
    If you O just fine try IUI with out meds. If you can not O they put you on meds and these meds will increase your chances of several. When I was on the meds my dr did an ultras and it showed 5 follies...all large...she said it was way too much....so that why I moved to IUI with out meds. GOOD LUCK!
    babygood1

babygood1 New Member

IUI and IVF

With IUI there is less control...IVF you have more control.
    If you O just fine try IUI with out meds. If you can not O they put you on meds and these meds will increase your chances of several. When I was on the meds my dr did an ultras and it showed 5 follies...all large...she said it was way too much....so that why I moved to IUI with out meds. GOOD LUCK!
    Anastasia

Anastasia New Member

With IVF you definitely have more control, because you are usually only putting 2 embies back. With IUI, you have a chance of getting pg with as many eggs as you release. With a natural IUI you don't have a greater chance for multiples and with clomid there is a greater chance of multiples, but most RE's say really it only increases your chance for twins. With injectible meds, people usually get at least 3 follies. It appears that you have MF IF though and your doctor may say it is a good idea to get more follies so that there are more targets for those sperm.

Best of luck to you.
    Anastasia

Anastasia New Member

With IVF you definitely have more control, because you are usually only putting 2 embies back. With IUI, you have a chance of getting pg with as many eggs as you release. With a natural IUI you don't have a greater chance for multiples and with clomid there is a greater chance of multiples, but most RE's say really it only increases your chance for twins. With injectible meds, people usually get at least 3 follies. It appears that you have MF IF though and your doctor may say it is a good idea to get more follies so that there are more targets for those sperm.

Best of luck to you.
    scrappyqban

scrappyqban New Member

Thank you ladies.... I will let you know how it works out.
    scrappyqban

scrappyqban New Member

Thank you ladies.... I will let you know how it works out.
    RuthieT

RuthieT New Member

I will be having my first IUI and there is only one follicle that will be big enough come Wednesday. Is there any chance we could still have more then 1 if the first IUI takes?
    RuthieT

RuthieT New Member

I will be having my first IUI and there is only one follicle that will be big enough come Wednesday. Is there any chance we could still have more then 1 if the first IUI takes?
    lrayon

lrayon New Member

RuthieT - I believe that it is possible to have multiples because I think it is possible for a follicle to have more than one egg. Probably not likely but possible. Please somebody, if i am wrong, let me know.
    lrayon

lrayon New Member

RuthieT - I believe that it is possible to have multiples because I think it is possible for a follicle to have more than one egg. Probably not likely but possible. Please somebody, if i am wrong, let me know.
    fossie

fossie New Member

I have heard that there is more chance of multiples with IUI than with IVF. I was talking to my ultrasound tech when going through IVF about Jon and Kate Plus 8 and she said that at my clinic they never would have let her go through with the procedure and would have recommended converting to IVF because the number of follicles/eggs would have been obvious and cause for concern for multiples, especially since they had already had twins!
    fossie

fossie New Member

I have heard that there is more chance of multiples with IUI than with IVF. I was talking to my ultrasound tech when going through IVF about Jon and Kate Plus 8 and she said that at my clinic they never would have let her go through with the procedure and would have recommended converting to IVF because the number of follicles/eggs would have been obvious and cause for concern for multiples, especially since they had already had twins!
    liv

liv New Member

I was told 3-4 follicles gives the best chance of pregnancy with iui. You do have to consider the # and quality of the sperm as well. I had 3 follicles last time and am pregnant with one. I think they said chances of multiples with clomid was 10% maybe. Not sure with injectibles.

liv:cheer:
    liv

liv New Member

I was told 3-4 follicles gives the best chance of pregnancy with iui. You do have to consider the # and quality of the sperm as well. I had 3 follicles last time and am pregnant with one. I think they said chances of multiples with clomid was 10% maybe. Not sure with injectibles.

liv:cheer: