period but no ovulation?

Discussion in 'Ovulation Questions' started by wannabigbabybelly, Sep 28, 2006.

wannabigbabybelly

wannabigbabybelly New Member

If you have a period on your own without medication to induce it, is it possible that you are still not ovulating?

I've always had very irregular periods and the times I have used an OPK or fertility treatments I have never seen a positive result and even at my highest doeses of clomid with metformin I would never create an egg large enough to ovulate. So I always figured i just never ovulated....even when i had a period come naturally.

But my question is....HOW can your body produce a period when there has been no ovulation. Was it just my body preparing for ovulation and then since there was no ovulation and no pregnancy it just shed that lining and produced a period?

I'm just wondering if maybe I should be keeping better track of my periods and testing with a feritlity monitor or OPK JUST in case....since my periods have become more regular int he last year.
    khb813

khb813 New Member

I am sorry that I don't have an answer for your question. But, you are not alone. The cycle prior to starting IVF I did not ovulate....I know this because the re was monitoring my blood (progesterone and estrogen). They asked me if I had ever had other cycles that I didn't ovulate.....duh, I didn't know that I hadn't until they told me and I thought, like you, that I wouldn't get a period with out it. But, they explained that women who are on bcp don't ovulate...so some how my body was "tricked into thinking it had" and thus got AF. I hope this helps!

Krista
    keeppraying

keeppraying New Member

I am not sure which is more frustrating... getting a period and not ovulating or not having a period at all. I do not get them anymore without medication (I went 4 months with out getting it so I started taking prometrium) So I am really messed up.:af: :af: :af: :af: :af:
    Gemmabean

Gemmabean New Member

I was diagnosed with PCOS in Nov. 2005. One of my major problems is that I don't ovulate naturally. Well, actually, I have at some point because I've been pregnant twice, naturally, in 2005.

It was explained to me that while I have a very regular period, that does not mean I ovulate with each cycle. This came as quite a surprise to me since I thought your period was a result of ovulation, who knew?

All that said, my RE thought all I'd need to get pregnant was Metform. Here we are, almost a year later, and we've not only tried Metformin, but Follistim, IUI, HCG trigger shots, and nothing has worked.

It is all very frustrating! Can I turn in these ovaries for a new set???

Good luck all!

Love,
    Julie
    venus

venus New Member

you r not alone..my dh and i been trying to have a baby for almost 6 yrs now and last friday m y dr. told me that i am not ovulating and now im a bit worried i am too desparate to have a baby its been 11 yrs now that i am taking care of someones babies,too may experience,huh! (part of my job)but i could not have one of my own hope someone outthere can give me some advice too..many thanks..
    jenedens6102

jenedens6102 New Member

Yes it is positive to have a period without ovulation and it's also possible to ovulate but not have a period. Cycles can be screwy that way. Have you had your thyroid checked or maybe any testing for PCOS, both can cause annovulation.
    tulip23

tulip23 New Member

As some others have posted,you can have AF without ovulating and the reason for it is just what u guessed.I am not aware of any other reason.I hope with a more regular period,u may soon have ur baby.:cross: All the best!!
    DIAMONDKHUSHBOO

DIAMONDKHUSHBOO New Member

IVE BEEN TRYING FROM D LAST 5 MONTHS...BUT NOTHING GOES RIGHT...DID EVERYTHING ACCORDINGLY....WELL MY LAST PERIOD WAS ON 20/JAN/09...I FELT LIKE IVE CONCEIVED BUT VEN I DID THE HPT IT WAS NEGATIVE,AGAIN I DID AFTER 10 DAYS..IT WAS NEGATIVE AGAIN...ON 08/04/09 I WENT TO C D DR. HE CHECKED N TOLD THAT PERHAPS UR NOT OVULATING...THATS Y UR NOT CONCEIVING..BUT I M HAVING REGULAR PERIODS...N FROM LAST 5 MONTHS (BEFORE MY LAST PERIODS )IT WAS PERFECTLY REGULAR(DATE TO DATE).....COMPLETED 14 MONTHS OF MARRIAGE...NOW DESPERATE FOR A CHILD....WHAT TO DO PLZZZZ HELPME OUT..MY AGE IS 26 N HUSBAND IS ALSO 26..:pray: