Question: The darker an HPT, the better?

Discussion in 'Infertility Support Forum' started by bittybaby, May 27, 2012.

bittybaby

bittybaby New Member

Just a quick question:

Is it a good sign if my HPT's keep getting darker over time, or does that not really mean anything? Last month with my chemical pregnancy, my HPT's never got dark, but today my HPT line was darker than the control line. So does anyone have any thoughts on whether it's a good sign if an HPT keeps getting darker?

Thanks is advance!! :)
    fertilityfriend

fertilityfriend New Member

I don't have any thoughts on the darkness of lines to the control line, but IMO if you are checking for signs of miscarriage, charting your temperature is a much more accurate way of telling as you can still have a positive HPT even after you miscarry in some cases. This is because you may still have enough HCG in your system to show on a HPT test. If you are tracking your temperatures, however, a drop in your temp below the coverline will alert you to an impending miscarriage.

Praying that you don't run into any trouble though! I never bothered testing or temping after I got my first positive on a HPT, but I can see why you're feeling anxious after a chemical pregnancy last month.

Have you gotten a beta test yet? That may also help to put your mind at ease.
    missingmy#2

missingmy#2 New Member

Yes its a good thing. If your test were to start getting lighter then that could mean a chemical. Its just means your HCG levels are rising. Congrats!
    bittybaby

bittybaby New Member

Hi fertilityfriend,

Thanks for the info! I actually am still taking my temps, and my temps have stayed high all the way after ovulation. In fact, my temps were the highest today then they have ever been, so I'm praying that that's a good sign :pray:

I have a question now about getting beta tests done. Is this something that is done regularly for all women? With my DD, the earliest my OB would see me was at 8 weeks, and I'm only about 4 weeks and 3-4 days along. Should I be asking for a beta test? Is this something all women are getting?

missingmy#2 - Thank you for your response. You helped put my mind at ease!! With my chemical pregnancy last cycle, my lines were always very very very faint even at 16dpo. This time, however, my lines were quite dark at 13dpo, and the line keeps getting darker. Thanks again for putting my mind at ease! We're praying that everything goes well :pray:
    kashiruvana

kashiruvana New Member

missingmy#2 has the right idea but it's not exactly true--IF the darkness of the line were a good indicator for a rising hCG level, then it would be a good sign. However, HPTs are not designed to be that precise. They're designed to measure a minimum hCG level (different for different brands of tests) and that's it. So the darkness depends on things like the amount of dye used, imperfections in the fibers used to make the test, and a bunch of other things that can vary by batch and by individual test. The only thing you can really count on is that, if there's a line, it's a positive.
    Dee1983

Dee1983 New Member

Although you say this I have been able to get a darkening progression using the same batch of HPT's and many other women do as well. So up to a certain point they obviously do show increasing levels if HCG so it is a good thing. Most of the women I know of who had chemical pg's only got faint lines on HPT's that never got any darker and disappeared after a few days. A beta is a much more accurate way of finding out what your HCG levels actually are however.
    bittybaby

bittybaby New Member

Hi Dee and everyone else! :)

People keep mentioning betas and having my HCG levels tested. Can someone tell me if having your HCG levels checked is regularly done for ALL pregnant women? I don't think I had my HCG levels checked when I was pregnant with DD, and my OB doesn't start seeing patients until they are at least 8 weeks along. So, I'm wondering if HCG levels/betas are routinely tested for ALL pregnant women?

Thanks everyone! :)
    bittybaby

bittybaby New Member

Thanks Dee and congrats on your pregnancy :cheer: It looks like you and I will probably be due around the same time!! I'll be praying that everything goes well for you and for me too :pray: Congrats again on your pregnancy!!
    kashiruvana

kashiruvana New Member

Dee's right--it can happen, and even probably would show at least a general darkening trend. It's just that you shouldn't rely on it for assessing the health of your pregnancy, because it's not that dependable.

And Dee, congratulations on your pregnancy! I'm so happy for you!!! You too, bittybaby! That's awesome that you got pregnant again so soon after your last BFP. What a blessing for both of you!
    bittybaby

bittybaby New Member

Hi Kashiruvana! Thanks so much for the congrats :) I know I can't rely on the darkening of my HPT to assess the health of my pregnancy. I guess I just look at the darkening of my HPT's as a good sign. Having a chemical pregnancy last month has caused me to freak out about every single thing with this pregnancy, so even little things like HPT lines that are darker than the control lines give me a little reassurance.

It's strange, but when I was pregnant with DD, I never really worried too much about having a miscarriage or chemical pregnancy. Now that I've had a chemical pregnancy, I feel like I'm going to the bathroom every 5 minutes to see if I'm bleeding. Having that chemical pregnancy has really caused me to be a big ball of nerves with this pregnancy, so we're just praying that things go well :pray: . Thanks again! :)
    Dee1983

Dee1983 New Member

It's so true about a previous m/c causing nerves, I m/c my first pg at 6 weeks and I'm nearly 6 weeks along again and I'm terrified the same thing is going to happen. It's even exactly the same time of year as it has taken me a full year to conceive again. I'm hanging out for my u/s so I can see a hb and know that everything is ok. My u/s is June 7th, when is your Bittybaby?
    Kashiruvana you are right that the tests are not reliable, betas are much better for knowing things are going fine. And thanks for the congrats :)
    bittybaby

bittybaby New Member

Hi Dee!

Well with DD, I didn't get to have my first ultrasound until 10 weeks (I got to hear DD's heartbeat at 9 weeks though). I don't see an RE, and my OB doesn't start seeing pregnant ladies until they are at least 8 weeks along, so I think the earliest I will be having an ultrasound is 8 weeks, but probably more like 9-10 weeks. I didn't have betas and HCG levels checked with DD, and because I don't see an RE, I don't think I'll be able to have betas and HCG levels checked this time around either.

DH and I actually bought one of those medical fetal doppler heart monitors when I was pregnant with DD because we are both such worry warts and we couldn't handle waiting a full month for each appointment to hear DD's heartbeat. I still have the doppler and gel, so maybe DH and I can try to listen for a heartbeat with our doppler when I'm further along (It's a really good one. It's just like the ones they use in the OB office. We got a great deal on it, and it was a great purchase for peace of mind. It was fun to hear DD's heartbeat more than once a month too!).

DH and I are just praying that everything goes well :pray: I'll also be praying that your ultrasound goes well :pray: Thanks again, and please keep us posted!! :)