RE advice..

Discussion in 'Men's Infertility Support' started by kmjf114, Apr 29, 2013.

  1. kmjf114

    kmjf114 New Member

    Wow, well we had ourappointment this Sat with RE to go overall both our results. (see tag linefor issues)[FONT="Helvetica","sans-serif"]
    [/FONT]
    He basically said that based on allmy blood work- TSH, HSG, FSH, 4 Prog. draws (gyno said I didn’t ovulate, hesaid I did!!)- [FONT="Helvetica","sans-serif"]

    [/FONT]
    Progesterone Draws-[FONT="Helvetica","sans-serif"]
    [/FONT]
    Unmedicated 6.1[FONT="Helvetica","sans-serif"]
    [/FONT]
    Clomid 50mg 6.7[FONT="Helvetica","sans-serif"]
    [/FONT]
    Clomid 100mg 16.7[FONT="Helvetica","sans-serif"]
    [/FONT]
    Clomid 100mg 6.9 [FONT="Helvetica","sans-serif"]

    [/FONT]
    RE wants to do another SA if thatstill comes back abnormal then he wants to do blood work. Do RE’s usuallyrefer to Urologist at this point? Or if the sample comes back abnormalagain due to his issues as a baby- will we be on plan for IVF +ICSI? Hewants to start my baseline blood work this cycle.. so does this mean we are ontrack shortly? He didn’t discuss a time line.
  2. ahhny

    ahhny New Member

    I believe anything over 5 indicates ovulation though for a medicated cycle that would be weak. They usually like to see a progesterone level over 15 in a medicated cycle.

    As far as the SA. Some RE's will refer to a urologist if they think that there is something the urologist can do to remedy the issue. Depends on what is seen. Male factor infertility can be quite tricky so usually there isn't a lot the can do for it except IVF w/ICSI unless it is just a low sperm count or hormone imbalance and a urologist may be able to prescribe clomid or something to boost the sperm count. However, if the male factor is much more complicated (as it often is when an issue is one the male was born with or has been going on for while or developed from surgeries or injury) then they often will recommend moving forward with the IVF w/ICSI.

    You will just have to wait and see what they saw about what his SA shows and if it is something they believe can potentially be boosted with meds or not. Sometimes it depends on how old you are too and how much time, money, and emotion you are willing to put in for trial and error treatments vs. just moving directly into IVF w/ICSI.

    For example, in our case we were told that my husband had antisperm antibodies covering 95% of his sperm. They said that with them on the head of the sperm there was no way they could penetrate cervical mucus or the egg even if it made it there. However, they couldn't tell us if all 95% were on the head or if a good portion were on the tails so there was just no way of knowing if an IUI might would work for us or not. In essence they could not give us any odds for that route, but said it was something we could try.

    What they recommended instead in order to give us actual numerical odds was donor sperm or IVF w/ICSI. They told us our odds with either of those could be as good as 60%. So...my RE said he didn't feel ethical recommending the IUI's with my DH's sperm because he just couldn't say if it would work or not.

    We decided that being older (me 37 at the time and DH being 39) that we didn't have time to waste trying methods with no odds. We also didn't like the idea of having children from donor sperm since we already had three children at home that were biological. We felt that the decision for us was to try the IVF w/ICSI and if two of those failed we would just be happy with the three boys we already had.

    It was not an easy or cheap decision, but it worked for us so we, of course, feel soooo very blessed!!!

    :cross: your RE has the right recommendations for you to net your BFP quickly and the most cost effective for you.

    As far as when you will get started--well that will depend on what the recommendations are and what you chose to do. If he recommends a urologist and/or medications then it could take a minimum of 3 months as it takes that long to see if the medication prescribed has made any difference. For each medication and/or dose of medication tried there is a 3 month wait so going that route could take awhile.
    Another route may be surgery such as a Mesa or Tesa to remove sperm for an IVF w/ICSI (there are usually only done when there is no or very few sperm present in an SA due to some underlying condition and thus the sperm need to be aspirated).
    However, if the SA looks good your RE may recommend trying some IUI's or they may recommend using donor sperm with IUI's as an alternative if the SA isn't so good.
    Then, of course, the option of IVF w/ICSI will likely be given as well.
    Which route you chose will depend on which of these recommendations are given based on what the SA reveals and then based on what you feel is right for you given your personal and financial situation.

    If you go ahead with IUI's because the SA is okay and no boost in sperm count is needed then you could start fairly quickly (like within a month or so). This would be the same with the IVF w/ICSI. Provided you have the finances to move forward you could try that with your next cycle assuming there are no more testing the RE wants first.

    Good Luck! :flower:

Share This Page