TAXES: Can you write off IVF as a medical expense?

Discussion in 'In Vitro Fertilization (IVF)' started by Karino, Mar 5, 2011.

Karino

Karino New Member

So I'm searching around on the world wide web trying to see if I can write off this IVF course as a medical expense on next years statement. I'm not sure you can write it off in the US or it depends on your jurisdiction. I did find out that you can in Canada, but I live in Washington, DC. If anyone knows lemme know :) I will however ask my tax guy next time I see him and let you all know.
    On another site someone posted the following but its not gound in stone;
    "You can right this off as a medical cost. Any medical cost that comes out of pocket (after taxes) is tax deductable. HOWEVER, I believe your total out of pocket medical must be 15% (or more) of your adjusted gross income inorder to receive credit. I could be wrong about the percentage, so ask you tax person, or look on the IRS's website at www.irs.gov to make sure."
    MissMuss

MissMuss New Member

Yes, IVF expenses are tax deductible (mileage too), but only the portion that is above 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income (not 15%). So if you have $10,000 in out-of-pocket medical expenses and your Adjusted Gross Income is $50,000, 7.5% of your AGI is $3,750. That means you can deduct $6,250 (10,000-3,750) on your Schedule A Itemized Deductions. There is a caveat if you used any money from a Flexible Spending account. You cannot take a deduction for that since it is already tax free.
    ksseattle

ksseattle New Member

Publication 502 lists the details on the IRS website.

Publication 502 (2010), Medical and Dental Expenses

IVF is mentioned specifically as something you CAN claim.

Fertility Enhancement

You can include in medical expenses the cost of the following procedures to overcome an inability to have children.
    • Procedures such as in vitro fertilization (including temporary storage of eggs or sperm).
    • Surgery, including an operation to reverse prior surgery that prevented the person operated on from having children.
    Karino

Karino New Member

This is great to know. Thanks Ladies. I appreciate this.
    libralinds

libralinds New Member

The other thing to think about is the standard $11,400 (I believe that's the number) deduction offered to married couples filing jointly. We itemized ALL of our medical expenses for 2010 (even things like contact lenses, copays for appt.s not relating to IVF, eye glasses, etc, everything helps get your total # up there), but it ended up being a little under $11,400, so we just took that deduction instead. We were well over the 7.5% of our AGI, but it didn't really matter since it still made sense to take that deduction instead. We made a spread sheet with everything itemized throughout the year and it made things really easy.
    kblythe

kblythe New Member

Keep in mind that if you choose to deduct, you can also deduct travel expenses to and from the RE's office. If you're traveling out-of-state, you can also deduct hotel rooms and the like (assuming, of course, that you are above the 7.5% threshold. I was actually audited by the IRS after I claimed the deductions. I had been quite conservative with the math, so for the audit I included both travel expenses and accupuncture. Turns out both are deductible, and the IRS ended up owing me money! For the travel expenses, I printed out a Google map showing the mileage between my house and the RE's practice. I then multiplied it by the dates I had gone to the doctor's office (based on the invoice.)

k.
    brit1612

brit1612 New Member

We saved a couple thousand dollars on our taxes one year, but we had spent a fortune! You do have to spend more than a certain percent of your income though. I don't remember what the percent was. For us the total came out to anything above about 10,000 was deductable. Hope that helps!