What is a good sperm count and motility to become pregnant from an IUI?

Discussion in 'Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)' started by MsHope12, Jun 13, 2011.

MsHope12

MsHope12 New Member

We just went for our 3rd IUI and I noticed my husband's sperm count went up to 28 mil, with a motility saying average. What is the average motility?? And is 28 mil a good number? I had an US on Thursday and I had 4 follicle measuring 16, I did my trigger shot on Friday morning and had my IUI on Saturday morning. Are these good chances?? Thank you...Good Luck to all!!! :pray:
    Heebs

Heebs New Member

I don't know what is a good number is but our first IUI our numbers was 10.1 mil and todays was 12.8 mil. This was donor sperm so I don't know what the numbers should be but the RE said that this was a good sample. It only takes 1!!

Hugs and good luck. :bsv:
    Hoping4aLilRedSoxFan

Hoping4aLilRedSoxFan New Member

I don't know what numbers would be considered good, but I wanted to say good luck! We are doing our first IUI - I was on Gonal-F, triggered on Wednesday night and went for the IUI on Friday morning. So, it looks like we are just about on the same schedule. The 2ww is going by very slow!

Good luck - :bsv: :bsv:

Mary
    Lili01175

Lili01175 New Member

Anything over 10mil is good. But there are ladies that had less than that and still got :bfp:

GL!!!!! :babydust::babydust:
    Kovach4u

Kovach4u New Member

Most RE like to see a count that's at least above 1-2mil, and thats motile swimmers. And 10 mil is a very respectful motile sperm number. Mine liked the motility to be above 47%. And my RE said their lab was very hard on rating motility. And every RE office is different. I can't remember the one IUI but the second was 28 mil post wash with 47% motility = 18.8 motile sperms. Do remember you only need one, I have seen gals here get there BFP with ten thousand swimmers. Good for you for asking though, it's not always the high sperm count that you should look for, it is all about how many had a motile or sperm that has a swimming purpose.
    Best of luck to you
    qbfan413

qbfan413 New Member

I agree w/the others that it doesn't seem to matter. Give yourself a lot of luck and hope. Just takes one of each!!!
    :pray: :grouphug: :cross:
    missingmy#2

missingmy#2 New Member

I've seen 2 RE's and both have said they want atleast 10 million total motile sperm for an IUI. For a total motile count you take the count and subtract the motility % and you get the total motile count. Anything less they say you have better success with IVF and ICSI. But also anything over 20 million total motile doesn't increase your success. Now don't get me wrong, a BFP can happen with less than 10mil total motile, but it will take longer and more IUI cycles.
    BethMG

BethMG New Member

I think with iui it doesn't matter too much. We did injectables/trigger/back-to-back iui last month and we only had 3mil total motile for both of them and it worked! Good luck!!!
    Leesh

Leesh New Member

We did 2 IUI's with low numbers. First was 7 million with 17% motility, second was 3 million (Ouch....I was broken hearted) with 47% motility (Thanks to a dbl espresso an hour before appts for hubby) and low and behold the second one worked. Makes me glad I didn't have an RE that wouldn't do IUI with under 10 million. What a waste of a month that would have been. He wants to see at least 3 million total sperm but is also a very nice doctor and I think if we had been lower then that we could have talked him into proceeding. I figure if I go through the meds for that month, and I want to try, it should be my choice.
    peppermintsundae

peppermintsundae New Member

Hi

I don't even know either how many counts is good chance, although my RE has own number preference.
    My RE suggests over 10mil is good for IUI. Actually this time around was 10mil, so it seemed to me like borderline.
    But then RE told me, "In the past, I got some patients pregnant for twins with 10mil!" So, I am optimistic.
    I think 28mil is way better from my own RE preference! Best of luck to you:bsv:!
    peppermintsundae

peppermintsundae New Member

Hi

I don't even know either how many counts is good chance, although my RE has own number preference.
    My RE suggests over 10mil is good for IUI. Actually this time around was 10mil, so it seemed to me like borderline.
    But then RE told me optimistic, "In the past, I got some patients pregnant for twins with 10mil!" So, I am optimistic.
    I think 28mil is way better from my own RE preference! Best of luck to you:bsv:!
    redgodess

redgodess New Member

Hi Leesh,
    I love reading your story... it gives me hope! And BTW if this cylce doesnt work I am so doing the double expresso thing!!! LOL!!

Congratulations!!!!
    Leesh

Leesh New Member

I think you should definitely try it. :D Thanks, I'm glad we can give someone some hope. I am still shocked and I'm not sure how long it will take to really sink in.
    Kris79

Kris79 New Member

I was never sure the number they were giving me was motile sperm or total plus motile %. I got pregnant with 11.8 million and 52% motile. They told me that anything over 10 million/50% motility was good.